2011年8月18日 星期四

Now for the good news

I judge a theater by its popcorn, so I went the purist route, ordering a midsized tub of buttered popcorn ($5.50). I received a small cardboard box filled 2/3 full with dry, stale popcorn. When I asked for butter on top, the cashier said they don’t serve it at the counter, but she’d go in the kitchen and find something to pour on top. Another mistake. The rancid-flavored topping leaked through the  slit-bottomed box and all over the tray, chair and my pants.

My daughter picked the Raspberry Chesecake Brulee ($9), which was certainly better than the popcorn, but still mushy, oversweet and of modest size for the price.

Now for the good news.

The auditoriums more than live up to the “Luxury Cinemas” name.

The large, wide, electronically controlled leather recliners are comfy enough to sleep in, have drink cups, tray tables, armrests, waiter call buttons and little lamps so you can read the menu and dig through your purse for a tip when the waiter delivers your overpriced cheesecake.

The chairs are also paired in twos with a center armrest that can be raised if you want to snuggle. And the chairs are far enough apart from the next set of seats that you won’t be bothered by any distractions.

The Cinepolis staff is unfailingly polite and ultra-quiet, including the young waiter who brought me two rounds of napkins for cleaning up the butter mess. And the sound and video quality in the auditoriums is excellent.

We saw “Captain America” with fancy wraparound 3-D glasses and I can say it’s the first time I’ve enjoyed a 3D film all the way through.

Cinepolis isn’t cheap, but it does offer a lot if you’re there to watch a movie in style. It’s a fun grown-up date locale, too.

沒有留言:

張貼留言